18 Feb 4 Health Benefits of Bone Broth + How to Use It
Regaining popularity in recent years, bone broth is a nutritious and delicious way to support your overall health and wellness. Packed with power, bone broth is the result of slow-simmering bones, vegetables, and seasonings for an extended period of time. Beyond being a warm and savory banquet of flavors, nutrient dense bone broth has several health benefits, four of which are highlighted here:
Essential Vitamins and Minerals
The bones used in bone broth are a rich source of essential minerals like phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, and potassium, and are vital to strengthening your bones. The connective tissues are also rich in natural compounds like chondroitin and glucosamine, which are useful in building up cartilage and supporting joint function.
Vitamins and minerals found in bone marrow include Vitamin K2, Vitamin A, manganese, boron, iron, selenium, and zinc. The bone broth cooking process breaks these down into a form your body can easily absorb.
Bone broth supports your digestive system. Containing gelatin which binds to water in the digestive tract and helps food move along easily, bone broth aids in the digestion of other foods.
Studies also show gelatin can play a role in helping to protect and heal the digestive tract’s mucosal lining and improving intestinal wall protection. As such, bone broth may help prevent and manage conditions like irritable bowel syndrome, leaky gut, inflammatory bowel disease, and Crohn’s disease.
Supports Healthy Inflammatory Response
Bone broth has strong anti-inflammatory properties thanks to its arginine and glycerine content. These amino acids can be effective in fighting and preventing chronic inflammation. Thus, they can be helpful to your body in fighting against diseases like diabetes, arthritis, metabolic syndrome, heart disease, and various cancers.
Promotes Joint Health
Bone broth also contains amino acids that help promote joint health, aiding in the prevention of injury and degenerative diseases like osteoarthritis. These powerful amino acids include glycine and proline, which your body uses to make tendons and ligaments. The chondroitin and glucosamine content may be helpful in limiting joint pain.
5 Easy Ways to Enjoy Nutrient-Dense Bone Broth
- Drink it as is – One of the simplest and most traditional ways to consume bone broth is to sip it as a warm or cold beverage. For added flavor, this can be done with added seasonings, such as salt or red pepper flakes. Drinking bone broth in this way can provide a quick and easy way to boost nutrient intake and hydration.
- Use it as a base for your favorite soups and stews – Bone broth adds a rich, savory flavor and an abundance of nutrients to the classic chicken noodle soup, a hearty beef stew, and everything in between.
- Add it to rice or quinoa dishes – Bone broth can be used in place of water when you’re preparing grains like rice or quinoa. This simple swap adds flavor and nutrition to these dishes, and can also make them more filling and satisfying.
- Cook vegetables with it – Bone broth can also be used as a cooking liquid for vegetables, such as when braising greens or simmering root vegetables. Adding flavor and nutrition, this simple step also makes them more tender and flavorful.
- Use it in sauces and gravies – Bone broth can be used in the base of your favorite sauces and gravies, bringing a rich and flavorful boost. Another easy way to increase flavor and nutrition in your meal.
Bone broth is a versatile and nutritious food that can be used in a wide variety of ways to aid in supporting your overall health and wellness. Whether sipping it warm, slurping in soups or stews, or spicing up your rice or quinoa dishes, bone broth is an excellent addition to any diet.
Broth by Design makes it easy and convenient for you to start enjoying the numerous benefits of bone broth right away, without having to step foot out the door. Developed by a Board Certified Cardiologist & Nutrition Expert, conveniently packed in individual sachets or easy to store jars, and available in an array of flavors, Broth by Design bone broth is delicious health support you can easily enjoy anytime, anywhere, with just a cup of hot water. Shop this superfood today!